Friday 22 August 2014

1/12th scale display table

I work in an office, and people get business cards in little plastic boxes that have always looked useful to me!  I felt that they would be a nice display table cover, and I went around the office nagging people into handing over the lids.  Just the lids, I didnt feel the need for the bottoms as well, although I did garner a few, will have to think what to do with them.

For a change, I am making this from scratch by my own self, not from a kit.  I am going to give a workshop for it, which is making me a touch nervous.  Still, it is a simple enough version.  Famous last words!

So, I first cut base piece, side pieces, and glued together:


I also cut a slightly smaller rectangle to glue into the middle of the box base.  I thought a raised bit in the middle would disguise the rim of the perspex box.  I will cover that piece with some flocked scrapbook paper, or similar stuff.


Then I added the legs into the corners.  I have been sending off around the world for legs from anywhere that had them, thanks Judy!


Next, I made a mitred frame for the top, with pieces glued around the edges to hold it in place, without the need for hinges or suchlike.


That gives a bit of trim on the outside when in place.



The next thing is to stick in the lining paper, and the little objets d'art to display.  I have also sent off for shells, and have some of my own from when I lived in Africa, including the world's tiniest sea-urchin shells.  I'll post the pictures for that next week.

This could also be used to display any collection of little treasures, of course.  I am looking forward to seeing what other people decide to do, although I will put shells in with the kit for the workshop.


No comments:

Post a Comment