Wednesday 3 September 2014

1/12th scale Kauri wall-mounted plate rack and shelves

Agathis australis, commonly known by its Māori name kauri, is a coniferous tree of Araucariaceae in the genus Agathis, found north of 38°S in the northern districts of New Zealand's North Island.

Kauri is a really pretty wood, with a lovely warm honey colour.  I've seen this sort of plate rack style described as Victorian, and as Edwardian.  Either way, it will be great in the kitchen of my dollhouse, which will be Eclectic Moderne, With Antique Accents.  Like my real house, in fact.  But probably tidier.

This is another of Alie's great workshops, at our minis retreat in January 2013.  We arrive on Friday evening, and start at once, the workshop is designed to be finished during the evening!  I love the carved spindles, aka the ubiquitous toothpicks.  I have noticed that the good ones, with the carved shaping at one end, are becoming more difficult to find, and we are seeing more of the ones that taper at both ends.  The next time I see the good ones (if there IS a next time), I shall have to stock up.

The kit went together so easily, although one or two people didnt read the instructions quite right, and got the spindles on backwards.  Dont ask.  Anyway, I managed to get it all right way round, and was very pleased with the result.  And then, I won a raffle and got Alie's prototype as well!  And even better, I cant now tell which is which!  So I must have done a good job...





No comments:

Post a Comment